Want to make your own silicone ring?
This is a fantastic way to get creative and wear the kind of jewelry you want.
What are the benefits of silicone jewelry?
Silicone is better to wear than metal jewelry because it avoids nickel allergies, it’s comfortable, and it’s cheaper to buy. If you make it yourself it can be even more budget-friendly, saving you money over time.
If you’re interested in the idea of making your own silicone ring, you’ll love this easy step-by-step guide that features simple instructions. We’ve also included the products you’ll need to purchase before you get started and where to get them.
How To Make Your Own Silicone Ring Mould
What You’ll Need:
Before you start making your mould, you’ll need to purchase the following items. Some of them will be items you already have lying around the house.
- Small round plastic container that has a lid
- Utility knife
- Double-sided tape
- Silicone mix
- Ring that you will use as your design mould
- Soft sanding pads
- Taklon brush
- Get a small, round plastic container as this will be your mould box.
- Remove the base of it by cutting it off with a utility knife.
- Take some double-sided tape and place it in the middle of the plastic base that you’ve cut off. This will serve to hold the ring you want to use for your mould in place.
- Secure the plastic container back onto the base by pressing it down.
- For this next step, you will need to have silicone mix. In a mixing cup, you’ll mix the silicone until its color is uniform. A good product is CopyFlex. To use it, you’ll mix together the catalyst and base to provide a smooth consistency.
- Once you have your silicone mixture, pour it into your plastic box. You want to pour it over the ring, starting from one side of the ring and slowly filling in all the air bubbles before moving over the ring. You should ensure that you completely cover the ring and fill the entire container with the silicone mix.
- If you’ve chosen a plastic box that’s a lot bigger than the ring, then fill it halfway. Ideally, you should cover the ring and fill the container so that you have at least a few inches of silicone mix.
- Put the lid on the plastic container and leave the silicone to set overnight.
- Once the silicone mix has set in the container, you should remove the plastic lid.
- Use a utility knife to cut through the body of the plastic so that you can get to the mould that has set.
- Use your knife to carefully cut the silicone that has settled underneath the ring’s base. This enables you to cut the ring out of the silicone, but don’t do that yet!
- Now, for this next step you’ll need to use resin, such as epoxy resin from Epodex. You want to mix it well with some pigment so that you can create a silicone ring in the color that you want. An example of pigment you can use is PoxyPigment, which is approved resin pigment. It will cure when mixed with the resin.
- You have to mix the resin and pigment really quickly to prevent it from setting. You only have a few minutes before it will harden.
- Once that’s done, you want to pour about half of the mixture into the silicone mould. Squeeze the mould around so that the mixture enters all the parts of it. Since you’ve cut the plastic container from the silicone mould in a previous step, it’s a good idea to put the mold in a new container to prevent the resin from spilling and making a mess.
- Pour more of the resin mixture into the mould. It should completely cover the silicone mould.
- Leave the resin to set. It should feel firm on top when it’s ready.
- Once it’s set, you can remove the ring from the mould. To do this, you’ll have to peel off the resin and then squeeze and pull the mould. You’ll be able to remove the ring from inside in this way.
- You might notice that the ring you’ve made in the silicone mould has rough, crackly edges. This is from when the resin was poured into it, but it can be fixed.
- To smooth it down, you’ll need to get sanding pads and polish. To make your life easier, you can purchase a kit that contains these items, such as Micro-Mesh Craft Kit.
- Use the soft-touch sanding pad to buff the ring so you make it smooth. You should also make the ring brighter and shinier, which is where the polish comes in. Put a bit of polish on a cloth and then rub it all over the ring, concentrating on the area that you’ve buffed and smoothed.
How To Make A Silicone Ring You Can Use To Make A Mould
What if you don’t have a ring handy to use in the silicone mould recipe so that you can duplicate it? No worries! You can quickly and easily make your own resin ring to use in your ring mould.
You’ll need to get your hands on a ring mould. You can find ring moulds that have different sizes and designs on them on websites such as Etsy. You’ll then make a resin ring in this mould. Here’s how.
- You’ll need to mix resin and pigment thoroughly for a few minutes.
- Put this mixture into the mould.
- Leave the resin to cure.
- Once it has set, you can remove the ring from the mould.
- It might have some rough edges, so sand them down before you use this ring for the silicone mould otherwise you won’t have a polished piece of jewelry.
There you go! Now you can use this ring to make your own silicone rings by following our previous tutorial.
Just make sure you don’t waste time worrying too much about pigment when you make your resin ring. This is just a ring you will use as a model. Save your pigment for the silicone ring that you’ll make!
How To Prevent Bubbles In Your Silicone Mould
One of the biggest problems or concerns you might have when making your own silicone ring mould is that you won’t be able to prevent bubbles from forming in the mould. This can totally ruin your project.
However, you can easily prevent bubbles from occurring. Here is what you need to do.
When you pour the silicone mix into the mould, you have to be patient and take your time with it. If you pour it all into the plastic container and onto the ring, this will cause bubbles to form.
You have to start by carefully pouring a drizzle of the mixture to get all the surfaces wet. Then, carefully tilt your plastic mould box so that the mixture will cover the entire surface of the ring.
Pay close attention to the ring as you pour the silicone over it. If you see some bubbles rising to the surface, you should quickly pop them.
You can also use a fine taklon brush to coat the ring with a layer of the silicone mix. In case you don’t know, taklon is a synthetic fiber that’s used in paint and makeup brushes.
This is a good way to ensure that the ring is covered with a layer of the silicone before you continue pouring it over. The brush can also be used to remove any bubbles.
When you can see no more bubbles on the surface of the ring, you can go ahead and pour the rest of the silicone mix.
It’s a good idea to hold the container with the silicone mix in it high above the plastic mould box so that you create a thin stream of the product. This will ensure that the ring will be covered properly.
Following the above steps when you’re making your silicone ring mould will ensure that you prevent unsightly bubbles from tarnishing the final appearance of your ring.
Why are silicone rings so popular?
Silicone rings are durable so you can wear them daily, they don’t get scuffed or damaged easily like metal rings, and they break if they snag on something, therefore being safer than metal rings that can hurt your finger.
Can you stretch your silicone ring?
Although silicone is stretchy and flexible, it won’t change much from how it’s been made. So, always make sure you choose the right size before making a ring for your finger! If you’re copying the design of a ring you already own, make sure it fits snugly but not too tightly.
You can easily make your own silicone ring jewelry at home. But first, you need to know how to make your own silicone ring mould.
In this guide, we’ve provided you with step-by-step instructions on how you can make your own silicone mould, as well as the items and products you’ll need in order to achieve that.